Several local and state seats are up for election this year, including top ticket races like governor and U.S. Senate all the way down to local board of education seats. This guide provides key dates, how things work, who the local candidates are and where they stand on the issues.
Things to know
District maps changed following the 2020 census. Check your districts and voting status at My Voter Page.
You can request an absentee ballot and mail it in or drop it inside at the Hall County Government Center, 2875 Browns Bridge Road, Gainesville.
The Times will provide coverage of local and state races before the November election.
- 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday Oct. 17 through Oct. 28
- 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday Oct 31 through Nov. 4
- 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays, Oct.22 and 29
Vote at any of these locations.
- Gainesville Civic Center, 830 Green Street NE, Gainesville
- North Hall Community Center, 4175 Nopone Road, Gainesville
- Spout Springs Library, 6488 Spout Springs Road, Flowery Branch
- East Hall Community Center, 3911 P Davison Road, Gainesville
- Mulberry Creek Community Center, 4491 J M Turk Road, Flowery Branch
- Chicopee Woods Agricultural Center, 1855 Calvary Church Road, Gainesville
- Murrayville library, 4796 Thompson Bridge Road, Gainesville
When: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Nov. 8
Where: Your polling precinct
The following precincts have changed since the last election.
- Roberts, Lanier Point Church, 6302 Lanier Islands Pkwy, Buford (formerly Mount Salem Baptist Church)
- Oakwood 2,: Flat Creek Baptist Church, 5504 Flat Creek Rd, Gainesville (formerly West Hall Baptist Church)
Last day to submit an application and request absentee ballot Oct. 28
Runoff, as necessary: Dec. 6
General Election: Nov. 8
Hall County Commissioner, District 1
Kathy Cooper, R, incumbent
Laura Colaninno, D
Hall County Schools Board of Education, Post 1
Debra Jones Smith, R
Angela Middleton, D
Hall County Schools Board of Education, Post 2
Hall County Schools, at-large
Bill Thompson, R, incumbent
Pat Calmes, D
U.S. House of Representatives, Georgia’s 9th District
- Herschel Junior Walker, R
- Raphael Warnock, D, incumbent
- Chase Oliver, L
Georgia House of Representatives, District 28
Brent Cox, R
Claudia Wood, D
Georgia House of Representatives, District 29
Georgia House of Representatives, District 30
Derrick McCollum, R
Kim Floria, D
We have a preview of the race here.
Georgia House of Representatives, District 100
David Clark, R
Louisa Jackson, D
Georgia House of Representatives, District 103
Soo Hong, R
Ernie Anaya, D
Georgia Senate, District 49
Georgia Senate, District 50
Bo Hatchett, R, incumbent
Paulette Williams, D
- Brian Kemp, R, incumbent
- Stacey Abrams, D
- Shane Hazel, L
- Burt Jones, R
- Charlie Bailey, D
- Ryan Graham, L
Secretary of State
- Brad Raffensperger, R, incumbent
- Bee Nguyen, D
- Ted Metz, L
- Chris Carr, R, incumbent
- Jennifer "Jen" Jordan, D
- Martin Cowen, L
Commissioner of Agriculture
- Tyler Harper, R
- Nakita Hemingway, D
- David Raudabaugh, L
Commissioner of Insurance
- John King, R
- Janice Laws Robinson, D
State school superintendent
- Richard Woods, R, incumbent
- Alisha Thomas Searcy, D
Commissioner of Labor
- Bruce Thompson, R
- William "Will" Boddie Jr., D
- Emily Anderson, L
1. Provides for suspension of compensation of certain State officers and members of the General Assembly.
"Shall the Constitution of Georgia be amended so as to suspend the compensation of the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, Attorney General, State School Superintendent, Commissioner of Insurance, Commissioner of Agriculture, Commissioner of Labor, or any member of the General Assembly while such individual is suspended from office following indictment for a felony?"
2.Provides for temporary local tax relief after disasters.
"Shall the Constitution of Georgia be amended so as to provide that the governing authority of each county, municipality, and consolidated government and the board of education of each independent and county school system in this state shall be authorized to grant temporary tax relief to properties within its jurisdiction which are severely damaged or destroyed as a result of a disaster and located within a nationally declared disaster area?"
3. Provides for ad valorem tax exemption for certain timber production, reforestation, and harvesting equipment.
"Shall the Act be approved which grants a state-wide exemption from all ad valorem taxes for certain equipment used by timber producers in the production or harvest of timber?"
4. Expands ad valorem tax exemption for family-owned farms and adds qualified products to the exemption.
"Shall the Act be approved which expands a state-wide exemption from ad valorem taxes for agricultural equipment and certain farm products held by certain entities to include entities comprising two or more family owned farm entities, and which adds dairy products and unfertilized eggs of poultry as qualified farm products with respect to such exemption?"